- BA (English Studies – Language and Literature – University of Seville, Spain)
- MEd (Applied Linguistics – University of Liverpool, UK)
- DEA (Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language –Nebrija University, Spain)
Contact Details:Room 5.17, 5/F, Run Run Shaw Tower Centennial Campus, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong. Tel: 3917 2038 Fax: 2548 0487 E-mail: email@example.com
Mrs. Blasco is the Spanish Programme Director and overall coordinator. She joined the University of Hong Kong in 1993 and was instrumental in the setting up and development of the Spanish Programme of which she has been the Director since its inception.
Her research interests are in the area of Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language, with a particular interest in Telecollaboration in language learning, Intercultural development, the teaching of Culture in the foreign language classroom, the development of Spanish studies in Asia and translation.
She is an official examiner for all levels (A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2) of the DELE diploma examinations (Spanish as a Foreign Language Diploma examinations, issued by Instituto Cervantes).
– Member and article reviewer of the research group of SINOELE (www.sinoele.org)
– Member of the Scientific Committee and Board of Editors for CELEAP (Conference on Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language in the Asia-Pacific Region)
– Member of the Scientific and Organising committees for the Jornadas Edinumen, an annual international conference on the teaching and learning of Spanish as a Foreign Language, jointly organized by The University of Hong Kong’s Spanish Programme and Editorial Edinumen.
– Member of the panel for revalidation of the Associate Degree in Bilingual Communication Studies (English & Spanish) at the Community College of City University
– External Member in the Academic Committee for the European Languages Programmes at HKU SPACE.
Teaching responsibilities (2015-2016):
- Nunan, D., Task-based Language Teaching – Editorial Edinumen (2011)
- ‘Spain: One Country, Many Regional Identities’ (2014) in R. Vogt et al (eds.) European National Identities: Elements, Transitions, Conflicts, pp.213-232. New Brunswick: Transaction Publishers
- ‘Interactive video as self-access support for language learning beginners’ (1996) in R. Pemberton et al (eds.) Taking Control: Autonomy in Language Learning, pp.219-232. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press (with D. Gardner)
Selected conference papers and plenary talks:
- ‘Flash in the pan or here to stay? The expansion of the teaching and learning of Spanish in Hong Kong’. Paper presented at the 2015 International Conference on Language Education and Studies. Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages, Taiwan (2015)
- ‘The Development of Intercultural Communicative Competence through a telecollaborative exchange between Chinese and Spanish students’. Paper presented at the ‘Telecollaboration in University Foreign Language Education’ Conference. University of León, Spain. (2014)
- ‘The Use of E-mail as a Tool for the Development of Intercultural Communicative Competence’. Plenary talk given at the 3rd International Symposium on European Languages in East Asia. National Taiwan University, Taipei. (2012)
- ‘¿Esto me suena a chino? Dificultades para aprendientes de ELE en Hong Kong’. Paper presented at the III EPES (III Meeting of Teachers of Spanish to Chinese Speakers). Universidad de Jaén, Spain. (2012) http://www.sinoele.org/images/Revista/10/Monograficos/EPES_2012/EPES%20III%20-%20BLASCO_119-132.pdf
- ‘El aprendiente chino en el contexto de Hong Kong’. Plenary talk given at the II EPES (II Meeting of Teachers of Spanish to Chinese Speakers). Universidad de Jaén, Spain. (2011) http://www.sinoele.org/images/Revista/10/Monograficos/EPES1011/EPES_II_187-197.pdf
- ‘El uso del correo electrónico como herramienta de enseñanza/aprendizaje’. Paper presented at the III Jornadas de Formación de Profesores de Español en China (III Conference for Teachers of Spanish in China)Cervantes Institute, Beijing, China. (2010) http://www.sinoele.org/images/Revista/3/iiijornadasP_Rocio.pdf
- ‘La evolución del español en Hong Kong. Perspectivas de futuro’. Plenary talk given at the I Encuentro de Profesores de Español en China (I Conference for Teachers of Spanish in China)Cervantes Institute, Beijing, China. (2008)
- ‘¿Qué aporta la Universidad de Hong Kong a la enseñanza/aprendizaje del español en Asia?’ Paper presented at the I Encuentro de Profesores de Español en Asia-Pacífico (I Meeting of Teachers of Spanish in the Asia-Pacific Region) Cervantes Institute, Manila, Philippines. (2004) (with Mercedes Vázquez)
- ‘Interactive video as self-access support for language learning beginners’. Paper presented at the Autonomy in Language Learning Conference, Hong Kong. Language Centre of HKUST and the Independent Learning Centre of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. (1994) (with D. Gardner)